Thursday, April 22, 2010

How do you define your style?

  That's a tough question.


  I agreed to participate in a supply swap and had to answer this question.  It makes me think of a job interview when they ask you to describe yourself in three words. Now really, how is that possible?  Well, in answering the questions provided by the swap organizer and also taking into consideration the questions I generally ask myself during a decorating process I put together a Q&A session.

If you've ever been in a design rut or feel like your home just isn't so, than this interview'esque post will make you think about who you are and how that is (or isn't) reflected in your home.

Okay, is it sad that I want to play along with my own quiz?  Don't answer :)  

Q. What are your favorite colors?
A. Neutrals (Brown, Cream), Warm Colors (Red, Orange) and Green

Q. What colors do you find in your closet?
A. Hint: Most of the time, the colors in your closet are the colors that look good on you & therefore make you feel comfortable.  Surround yourself with these colors.

Now, before I go further, please...please...find the right balance.  Yes, I love green and orange, but that doesn't mean my living room should look like a flashback to the 60's.  


retro basement
Photo: Retro Renovation

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE retro, vintage and antique decor!  In fact, there are many things that I love about this room.  But vintage isn't all that I love...I also love modern beauties like granite counter tops and stainless steel appliances.  Mix, Mix and yes, mix again your decor to incorporate all that you love. Not just one style or in this case decade.

Here's a fresh way to incorporate these gorgeous colors.
Orange Living room overall
Photo: Better Homes


Okay, back to the quiz...
Q. What clothing stores do you frequent?  And why?
A.
  •  Anthropologie (ahhh) because I'd like to live there.  I love the aesthetics of the shop and that can also be found in the clothes.
  •  Forever 21 (yes, I admit it) because sometimes my budget doesn't always allow for Anthropologie and I can find unique items at cheap prices.
  • Banana Republic because I like the quality and the classic look.
  • TJ Maxx / Marshalls because I'm a girl who loves a bargain and again I want something that I won't see on the next girl walking down the street. 

Photo: Anthropologie via Publishers Weekly
Q. What Magazines / Blogs do you enjoy? And Why?

A. 
  • Cottage Living (RIP) because I love that you don't have to define your style.  LOL.  I love that anything goes.  I love the relaxed environment that Cottage Living encompasses.
  • Real Simple because I love how it includes style, practical tips, recipes, etc...  It isn't boxed in to just one thing.  
  • Blogs...check out the blogs I follow...love ladies who can get creative and share their inspirations & beliefs.
Simple cottage style window treatmentsNight lightUnexpected ColorControlled clutter of books, gifts and artwork
Photos: Cottage Living via MyHomeIdeas




I'm going to break for a moment...do you see a pattern yet in the answers?  I like a variety, I like to be my own person, I'm more than just 3 words.


Q. What are your hobbies?  What do you enjoy?
A. Not in any particular order: being encouraged by God's word, art, antique shopping, garage sales, family, a good book and a glass of wine.

Okay, let's finish...


home-office-decorating-ideas-ss09
Photo: Elle Decor

Q. When you visit a friends home, what do you remember?  Is it that they made you feel at home or made you feel special?  Was it the way they decorated the table?
A.  There's no wrong answer.  Maybe it's all of the above.  Now think about the person.  Take a moment.  Sometimes a person can make you feel special by going the extra mile and decorating the table to create a special occasion, sometimes they show their love by cooking an amazing dinner, sometimes it just takes a few comfy chairs, a glass of wine & great conversation.


Shower guests dine under the trees

Take a look at your answers.  Do these answers give a glimpse of who you are and what is important to you?  Now look around your home.  Does your home tell your story?

I don't want to tell you how to define your style, I want to help you incorporate yourself into your style. Surround yourself with the things you love (even if they don't follow the design rules).  Don't worry about whether the head chair at your dining table has arms. If you feel warm when you see linen that reminds you of your grandma, then incorporate that in your home. 

 Let your home be an outward example of you.  



ED0309_BECKER_042_0
Photo: Elle Decor via  elementsofstyleblog

Checkout my quiz on the side bar.  Do you fit into a certain style?  Are you all over the board?




No comments: